Title: Executive Administrative Newsroom Assistant
Status: Part-time, 30 hours/week, potential for full-time
Starting Pay: $24/hour + monthly health stipend + flexibility + vacation/PTO + professional training
Start Date: Monday, August 24 (Training Aug 24-27, paid for full week)
Location: Seattle Center (100% remote work during COVID)
Contact: Belinda Littlefield (email@example.com)
Hiring Date: Candidate TBD August 14, 2020
Are you passionate about local news? Are you a curious, energetic self-starter? Do you want to join a team that makes real change in Washington State and beyond?
If so, we want you to join InvestigateWest, a nonprofit investigative newsroom in Seattle covering the Pacific Northwest for over a decade. Our stories produce real change, and the Executive Administrative Newsroom Assistant will be a part of that change. They are more than an assistant–they are an important member of our core, in-office, three-person team, and we value their ideas and rely on their motivation. The most successful candidates will have experience in an office management setting, and experience with fundraising work or in a journalism newsroom. That said, we don’t expect unicorns, so let’s talk. Self-starters and innovators are encouraged to apply and make their case to the hiring directors, who are open to new ideas. The most important qualities of this position are that you are organized, ethical, open to learning new systems, and a team player. We’re excited to meet you.
Also know that we are a family-friendly organization, committed to diversity, and that people of all identities are encouraged to apply, especially women, BIPOC, and other underrepresented communities.
The Executive Admin supports and reports to the Executive Director and Executive Editor in a variety of areas, including story production, marketing and fundraising, and tasks as they arise. The right applicant will be provided with training in these areas, as well as professional development opportunities.
Core duties include (but are not limited to):
- Fundraising: Donor Relations & Membership
- Monitor incoming donations and record in Little Green Light using best practices
- Implement engagement and reengagement strategies + membership strategy
- Tracking and reporting + stewardship
- Marketing & Communications. All in collaboration with the Executive Director, produce:
- Outreach materials, which may require the use of Canva, Microsoft Suite, and social media ad platforms
- Social media/fundraising campaigns, including content, editorial calendar, Creative Commons
- Email campaigns that drive engagement and incorporate strong design elements
- Events management, including Eventbrite, asking for support from local organizations, leasing and insurance licenses, and volunteer coordination
- Story Production: collaborate with the Executive Editor to produce stories online at invw.org using WordPress. Requires basic knowledge of HTML code, how to source photos and create graphics in Canva when necessary. Knowledge of SEO and algorithms is a plus
- Mailchimp: regular newsletters, content and design + maintain membership lists
- Social media via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram + Google Analytics and Mentionlytics. We use Hootsuite to manage.
- Managing requests for government records
- Coordinate with Executive Editor to track requests for government records under state and federal freedom-of-information laws
- Additional administrative duties
- In-office tasks: filing, mail, bank duties, expense reports, taking notes at meetings
- Maintain website, resolve any technical issues
- Conduct research around foundations, donors, and strategies that can help the organization improve best practices
- Webinars and reporting to implement new strategies or improve best practices
- Collaborate with our Finance person to complete financial statements each month, which may involve answering questions around deposits, donors or payments
Preferred skills: Self-starter, willingness to learn. Ability to adapt. Passion for the news and its importance to democracy. Software we use includes: Monday (project management), MicrosoftTeams, Microsoft Suite/G Suite (Google docs), Zoom, WordPress, Largo, basic HTML, MailChimp, Mentionlytics, Social Media, Hootsuite, Dropbox, DonorBox, Little Green Light, Trello, Stripe, Canva. More to come as we upgrade our systems. All unfamiliar systems will be supported with training (webinars, tutorials, in-person).
Other: This position requires a criminal background check and drug screen for controlled substances. Resumes and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.
InvestigateWest is a Seattle-based investigative journalism nonprofit reporting on the environment, public health, and government and corporate accountability. InvestigateWest stories have impact. Our mission is to strengthen communities and engage citizens in civic life by producing powerful, independent, changemaking investigative and explanatory journalism. Learn more about us at www.invw.org.